The club was called Sherwood Rod and Gun club when it was organized in 1940. The club owned no facilities, so meetings were held over a store in Sherwood. The dues of $3 per year included a subscription to the Northwest Angler Magazine.
The club next moved its meeting place to the Sherwood Fire Station. Initially, the club had a one-trap shotgun range at Six Corners, the present site of the Sherwood Plaza.
In 1944, the club bought 172 acres, at its present location for $1,400. After moving to the new location, the club's name was changed to Tualatin Valley Sportsman's Club. The Tri-County Gun Club name came still later. A borrowed bulldozer was used to cut a road into the site of the present clubhouse. About this time, a successful application for membership in the National Rifle Association qualified the club to draw rifles and an allotment of ammunition from the Director of Civilian Marksmanship.
Sale of timber cut from the property and income from match fees paid for land and for excavation at the High Power, Trap and Pistol ranges.
In 1959, Rodgers Construction Company contracted to mine rock from club land adjacent to their quarry, just north of the club road for five cents per cubic yard. This income, plus some additional money from timber sales, was used to build the indoor range in 1960-1961.
In 1968, the 20 acres just north of the blackpowder range was purchased for $15,000. At this time, permission for access from tonquin road was by verbal agreement with Gordon and Mildred Snyder, adjacent land owners and club members. In 1969, the Snyders granted a 50 foot easement in order to build a new access road to our club property. The U.S. Marine Corps 6th Engineer Support Battalion at Swan Island built a new entry road as part of their training program. They have since done major construction jobs on the Practical Pistol, Skeet, Trap, Outdoor 22, Black Powder, Silhouette and High Power ranges.
In 1975 the 28 acres of land to the south of where the Skeet Range now stands was purchased for $18,000. The sale of timber from this parcel, plus personal loans from club members, was used to finance building of the present clubhouse.
In 1977 the club traded 13 acres lying northeast of the electrical power line for an equivalent number of acres from the old Rodgers Rock Quarry on Tonquin Road. This trade gave the club space for a much needed road to the ranges.
From that time up to the present, the club has consistently worked to improve facilities and services. We have recently built a second clubhouse with an adjoining indoor shooting range.
TCGC continually strives to improve range safety, membership benefits and to be a good neighbor.
TGGC is host to Boy Scout Troop 224.